Monday, March 31, 2008

Big Fat Pay Checks

http://ednews.org/articles/24054/1/Paying-Teachers-125000/Page1.html

It seems not all paychecks are created equally. Some teachers in charters schools are being paid upwardst to 125,000 per year. Which isn't that much when you consider that, on average, a school spends atleast 10,000 per year on students, and in wealthier districts upwards to 60,000.

However, the pay scale is much, much larger than the countries average of 50,000 per teacher, per year. So, it's atleast a step in the right direction as far as pay goes. Unfortunately alot of teachers in charter school are not unionized, wich leaves them without protection from the evils of school districts.

So the question posed is, job security? or a big fat paycheck.

i'll go with paycheck.

1 comment:

DTP said...

Though a big paycheck is tempting, I can't say I'd take it over job security. We both know that the teaching profession is not a place if you plan on being a millionaire. I would rather have a place I can teach, and have a say (once I'm tenured) in what I teach. I realize I'll never be rich because of teaching.